Friday, October 7, 2011

Pie

001

This pie.

Not to brag or anything, but it might be the best thing to ever come out of an oven. Not just our oven. An oven. As in all ovens across the world.

All-butter crust

Oh my.

I'm a little sad I didn't take any photos of the cooking/baking process. The making of a masterpiece should be documented. Plus it was really pretty. But I was rushing to bind a quilt/take a shower/bake blondies for work and didn't have the time.

Anyway, here's what went into the filling. The crust is an all-butter crust (2.5 cups flour, 2 sticks butter, 1 teaspoon salt, 5 tablespoons ice water, minimally mixed ... to the point where it barely held together ... for maximum flakiness)

2 big parsnips, chopped into smallish pieces
3 big carrots, cut like the parsnips
1 onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, smashed to tiny bits
Frozen peans
Veggie stock
Butter
Olive oil
Flour
Salt, pepper, sage, thyme and chives

I sautéed the carrots and parsnips with salt and pepper in a lot of olive oil, like a half-inch deep in a big pan. I let them go for about 10 minutes over medium heat. They didn't quite brown up, but they got soft. Then I added the onion and cooked it all for another 5 minutes, then threw in the garlic and took it all off the heat.

I drained out and kept the oil, then moved the veggies to a bowl to cool. I added the olive oil back to the pan, along with a few tablespoons of butter and the sage and thyme (both dried). I cooked that until it foamed, and then added the flour to form a paste. That cooked for a few minutes, and then I whisked in the veggie stock until I had a thick cream.

Then I dumped the veggies back in the pan, added the peas and chopped chives and let everything cool while I rolled out the bottom crust. Then I assembled the pie and baked it at 400 degrees for about 50 minutes. I used a massive pie dish; it'll probably need less time in a normal-size one.

It's seriously so good. And cheap, too.

I don't have any photos of us eating it because I forgot my camera at work. But if I'd taken any, you'd see an almost-half-gone pie by the time dinner was over.

It was that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment