Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I sewed a shirt! And then another one!

The Tova shirt, in fact.

It was awesome.

Tova top

Placket, collar

It fits and everything!

This was my first garment sewing that I actually finished. I've started a skirt (six months ago), but it's not done yet.

The pattern was super easy to follow, and the whole thing only took four hours, including reading through the pattern a few times and assembling and tracing the pattern pieces (I bought the PDF version, only $10!).

I started when I got off work at 1:30 a.m. and finished at 5:30. I didn't plan on it going that way, but it was one of those snowball things, like:

"Oh, if I finish this hem, I might as well attach the back."

And then 30 minutes later: "Now it looks like a real shirt, so I might as well sew on the sleeves."

Then another half-hour passes.

"And since it's basically done, I might as well finish it ..."

And then it's 5:30 a.m.

But so worth it.

So worth it that I made a second one the very next day. I'd been eyeing this Lisette collection fabric at JoAnn for awhile. It's twill. And I sort of thought the extra-small would fit better than the small I made the first time (it does).

So, this happened!

Tova again!

Tova again!

I wore it to work today and got a complement on it, BEFORE I bragged about sewing it.

The second time around, I realized I over looked a step on the first shirt -- topstitching the inset. It makes it look so much nicer. It's funny what you catch the second time through.


And on the quilting front, I'm ready to sew the binding on the HST baby quilt!


I basted and quilted the thing last night, all in like an hour. I probably spent longer deciding how to quilt it than the actual quilting took. I had all these grand plans for some straight-line quilting, but in the end I went with an all-over free-motion pattern. I think that will make a nicer drape and longer-lasting quilt, especially with a baby quilt that will get washed lots.

Picking the binding and backing was hard. Those colors aren't easy to match. I planned on using the binding fabric for the backing, but I didn't want to use a different thread in my bobbin, so I went with some lighter blue dots on a natural background.


Here's hoping I finish it up soon. There are lots of distractions lately, with the warm weather and these two mutts (who escaped for SIX HOURS on Easter and ended up having a sleepover at the shelter. Super lame.)


One thing I've learned from this quilt (besides how awesome trimming is) is that it's hard to pick fabric for a project that doesn't fall in your normal color zone. I've got no instinct in what looks good.

No comments:

Post a Comment