Sunday, August 14, 2011

Two blocks down...

... no idea how many to go. Ether nine or 16, depending on how big I want the quilt to be. I'd like it to be 16 because I like sewing them, but that would make for one huge baby quilt.

Blocks No. 1 and 2
Block No. 1 on the left, No. 2 on the right.

I wanted to make my first block the most simple one, and the second the most complicated. That way I can work between these two for the rest of the project. This is a baby quilt, so it can be fun and busy, but I don't want it to be too busy. I think simple blocks will help keep it calm.

Improvisational sewing suits me. Probably because it's less organized. Instead of cutting a specific number of strips from one fabric and on and on, you just pick your fabric and cut as you go. I'm doing free-hand rotary cutting on this.

The sewing area
If a fabric is on the table, it's fair game.

Block back

I'm trimming the blocks to a 10.5-inch square. Right now, the plan is to border each block in 1 inch of white and then put the blocks together with 4-inch grey sashing. That's why I think I'll only need nine blocks. That's too bad.

But maybe I can squeeze more in on the back.

Block No. 2

No comments:

Post a Comment